Miles Davis Quotes
- "Always look ahead, but never
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The
attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80
long as Iíve been playing, they never say I done
anything. They always say that some white guy did
least one day out of the year all musicans should
just put their instruments down, and give thanks too
- "Bad music is what will ruin
music, not the instruments musicians choose to
- "But you've got to have style
in whatever you do -- writing, music, painting,
fashion, boxing, anything."
- "Coltrane, you cant play
everything at once!"
- "Do not fear mistakes - there
- "Don't play what's there; play
what's not there."
- "For me, music and life are
all about style."
- "Good music is good no matter
what kind of music it is."
- "I always listen to what I can
- "I donít care if a dude is
purple with green breath as long as he can swing."
donít like to hear someone put down Dixieland. Those
people who say thereís no music but bop are just
stupid; it shows how much they donít know."
- "Iíll play it first and tell
you what it is afterwards."
- "If they act too hip, you know
they canít play shit."
- "In Europe, they like
everything you do. The mistakes and everything.
Thatís a little bit too much."
hate how white people always try to take credit for
something after they discover it. Like it wasn't
happening before they found out about it--which most
times is always late, and they didn't have nothing
to do with it happening."
know what Iíve done for music, but donít call me ďa
legendĒ.(Ö) A legend is an old man with a cane known
for what he used to do. Iím still doing it."
- "Iím always thinking about
creating. My future starts when I wake up in the
morning and see the light."
- "If you don't know what to
play, play nothing."
- "If you sacrifice your art
because of some woman, or some man, or for some
color, or for some wealth, you can't be trusted."
- "If you understood everything
I said, youíd be me."
- "It's not about standing still
and becoming safe. If anybody wants to keep creating
they have to be about change."
- "Itís like, how did Columbus
discover America when the Indians were already here?
What kind of shit is that, but white peopleís shit?"
- "Itís not the note you play
thatís the wrong note Ė itís the note you play
afterwards that makes it right or wrong."
- "Jazz is the big brother of
Revolution. Revolution follows it around."
- "Knowledge is freedom and
ignorance is slavery."
- "Man, sometimes it takes you a
long time to sound like yourself."
- "Music is a funny thing when
you really come to think about it."
- "Music is an addiction."
- "My future starts when I wake
up every morning. Every day I find something
creative to do with my life."
- "Some day I'm gonna call me up
on the phone, so when I answer, I can tell myself to
- "Sometimes you have to play a
long time to be able to play like yourself."
- "Weíre not going to play the
blues anymore. Let the white folks play the blues.
They got íem, so they can keep íem."
- "When I got into music I went
all the way into music; I didn't have no time after
that for nothing else."
- "When youíre creating your own
shit, man, even the sky ainít the limit."
- "You have to play a long time
to be able to play like yourself."
- "You know why I quit playing
ballads? Cause I love playing ballads."